Old People Are Hilarious

I am currently the director of therapy at a nursing home in Texas. I have worked as a speech-language pathologist for over 3 years in the nursing home setting, and I have found during my time there, old people say what they mean and mean what they say. They have no filter. They figure, hell, life is too short to be polite and use social graces. And it's because of them, I decided to start this blog. Those hilarious one liners that make me love my job and look forward to going to work everyday. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I challenge those people--you can. And they can teach you some tricks along the way.

Friday, January 29, 2010

Virgie again

I love Fridays.  They are my group days.  Today the topic of conversation was Valentine's Day.  Old ladies love to socialize and gossip, so I thought I'd start the group session by asking about the nicest Valentine's gift they've ever gotten.  Virgie was in my group today.  We went around our circle, with each lady talking about her nicest Valentine's gift and whether or not their husbands were romantic and thoughtful.  Virgie's turn came around, and remember she's really hard of hearing, so I got up from my stool and went over to yell in her ear.  "Was your husband romantic, Virgie?"  And she looked up at me and said loudly, "Which one?"  We all started laughing and I shrugged my shoulders and said, "Your 2nd one."  She started giggling and said to the entire group, "I've had so many, I don't remember which one was second."  That got all the ladies rolling!

No comments:

Post a Comment