Old People Are Hilarious

I am currently the director of therapy at a nursing home in Texas. I have worked as a speech-language pathologist for over 3 years in the nursing home setting, and I have found during my time there, old people say what they mean and mean what they say. They have no filter. They figure, hell, life is too short to be polite and use social graces. And it's because of them, I decided to start this blog. Those hilarious one liners that make me love my job and look forward to going to work everyday. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I challenge those people--you can. And they can teach you some tricks along the way.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Carol

I usually do group therapy sessions on Fridays.  It gives the residents a chance to socialize with each other and it gives me an opportunity to get alot of people done at one time so I have a chance to catch up on paperwork later in the day.  Well, one day I had several patients in the therapy room and we were practicing memory strategies.

I was explaining that one way to help remember a person's name is to come up with an adjective that begins with the same letter as the first name of the person whose name you're trying to remember.  Now, let me stop and explain who was in my group that morning:  a 65 year old Caucasian man with a traumatic brain injury from a car wreck, 2 Caucasian ladies who had been really ill and needed some help with their cognition, and Carol, a 40 year old African American woman who had been on drugs in recent history and as a result, had severe brain damage from lack of oxygen to the brain.  So after explaining, I said, "Ok, let's each try to come up with a way that the rest of the group can remember us by using this strategy." Almost immediately, Carol pipes up and says, "Well...I'm the only f***ing black one in here." A little stunned and trying really really hard not to laugh, I told her, "Well, that is true, but let's try to come up with an adjective that starts with a 'C' that describes you.  That's the strategy we're working on."  She thought for a long time, started giggling, and said, "What about Crackhead Carol? Heh Heh Heh. That pretty much sums it up for everybody."  Needless to say, not a single person in that room forgot Carol's name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment