Old People Are Hilarious

I am currently the director of therapy at a nursing home in Texas. I have worked as a speech-language pathologist for over 3 years in the nursing home setting, and I have found during my time there, old people say what they mean and mean what they say. They have no filter. They figure, hell, life is too short to be polite and use social graces. And it's because of them, I decided to start this blog. Those hilarious one liners that make me love my job and look forward to going to work everyday. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I challenge those people--you can. And they can teach you some tricks along the way.

Friday, August 26, 2011

Edgar

I had not realized how long it had been since I last posted!  That's unacceptable, and I now have a renewed fervor for the blog.  Let's hope it continues. :) I have a lot of catching up to do.

I have a patient on my caseload right now named Edgar. Edgar is a pretty unusual guy--he has absolutely no social filter.  He calls every female he sees either 'babycakes,' 'sugar lips,' or just plain 'baby.'  Unfortunately for him, Edgar has swallowing problems.  And anytime a patient has swallowing problems, I have to order an xray to assess the swallow called an MBSS. A van comes to the facility and another SLP and radiologist do the study. When someone has swallowing difficulties, SLPs use two words to describe if food or liquid gets to the level of the vocal cords--penetration and aspiration.  It's not really important to the story what the words mean, but I figure you know where I'm going with this...

So Edgar and I get on the van and it turns out the SLP doing the study is really young and cute.  Inside, I'm cringing, because I know how this is going to go--a big 'ole game of grab-ass. So she gets started and introduces herself.  Luckily, Edgar is on his best behavior--at first. But as the SLP gets into the study, Edgar gets on a roll. She talks about her findings out loud and then I hear the phrase, "there's subepiglottic coating but no penetration is noted." And then there's a pause. Edgar looks at her, smirks, and says, "There may not be no penetration now, but I'd sure like there to be some on this here bus later." Then he proceeds to grab her ass.

Luckily, the SLP was a good sport and let him know that the first grope is free. 

No comments:

Post a Comment