Old People Are Hilarious

I am currently the director of therapy at a nursing home in Texas. I have worked as a speech-language pathologist for over 3 years in the nursing home setting, and I have found during my time there, old people say what they mean and mean what they say. They have no filter. They figure, hell, life is too short to be polite and use social graces. And it's because of them, I decided to start this blog. Those hilarious one liners that make me love my job and look forward to going to work everyday. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I challenge those people--you can. And they can teach you some tricks along the way.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Hank

I had a gentleman who came in our nursing facility with his sodium levels out of whack.  You would never really guess the importance of the right amount of sodium in your system until you saw someone with low sodium.  Let me just tell you, those people have been thrown for a loop.  Well, I did an evaluation and ended up picking Hank up for speech therapy because he was so confused.  One day, I went in his room to get him for therapy and found him laying in his bed butt naked fanning his genitals with his pillow.  I got a little closer, but not too close, you know.  Old men are like baby boys--you never know when their little thingy is going to let loose.  And I DO NOT like to be peed on.  So I got close enough to him for him to hear me and I said, "Hank, I've come to get you for therapy."  He looked at me blankly, and then said, with his upper dentures just flopping around in his mouth, "I don't like broccoli."  I shook my head and said, "No, Hank.  I don't care if you like broccoli... I'm here to get you for therapy."  He pauses from fanning himself, leans his head toward me, and yells at the top of his lungs, "I DO NOT LIKE BROCCOLI!!!!!!!"  So I left his room--And I went to the dietary manager to make sure that broccoli was listed in the dislike column of his meal card, and I left it at that.  Sometimes, that's all you can do, you know?  Just leave well enough alone and make sure the man never gets broccoli again.

No comments:

Post a Comment