Old People Are Hilarious

I am currently the director of therapy at a nursing home in Texas. I have worked as a speech-language pathologist for over 3 years in the nursing home setting, and I have found during my time there, old people say what they mean and mean what they say. They have no filter. They figure, hell, life is too short to be polite and use social graces. And it's because of them, I decided to start this blog. Those hilarious one liners that make me love my job and look forward to going to work everyday. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I challenge those people--you can. And they can teach you some tricks along the way.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Eula and Cathy

I was in the dining room during breakfast one morning, and it was one of those quiet meals where nobody speaks to each other because they are still half-asleep.  Well, Eula and a lady named Cathy eat at the same table.  Cathy had finished her breakfast and decided it was time to get up out of her chair and grab her walker to leave.  Cathy ALWAYS has a hard time getting up out of her chair and today was no exception. Heave, heave, ho.  Couldn't get up.  Heave, heave, ho.  Nope, she wasn't going anywhere.  Heave, heave, ho. FART FART FART. And she was up. I looked around to see if anyone was looking at her or laughing (yes, old people still laugh when someone farts--if they can still hear.)  But no one had even turned their head in her direction. Eula continued to eat her breakfast and just turned to Cathy with no expression on her face.  Then, in her LOUD Slingblade-like voice, she said "You got the arthritis?" And Cathy replied, "Yep, I got the arthritis." Eula was nodding her head and said loudly, "Yeah you gotta watch that arthritis.  One day you'll be feeling fine and then the next day, it will take you down like the f***ing Titanic." Cathy nodded "Ain't it a bitch?"  And Cathy walked away.  Yep, just another normal breakfast in long term care.

No comments:

Post a Comment